What Memorial Day Means to Me




   


Since this is my first post on this blog, I'm going to start by explaining something about my writing: I'm a sharer, and I like to discuss things in writing.

That being said, when I was thinking about Memorial day, this poem is what came to mind:

In Flanders Fields, by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918) Canadian Army

"In Flanders Fields the poppies blow 
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch: be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall now sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders Fields."

Memorial day, to me, is not just about remembering the great people who came before us. It's about remembering what they fought and died for. It's about respecting their sacrifice and vowing to continue their legacy. It's about respecting the heroes who may not have gotten any press for what they did, but who gave so much.

Thanks for reading!

Rachel

0 comments:

Post a Comment